Technically, it's the middle of summer, but the weather here has been decidedly autumnal for the last few weeks. Which I do not mind at all, as A) autumn is my favourite season, and B) it means we haven't yet been hit by the awful wet blanket sensation of Auckland's usual summer humidity (though I'm sure it will come). Thus I am sitting here eating a fresh peach/nectarine tart with hokey-pokey ice cream, with jeans, socks and sweatshirt on! (Instead of the shorts and tank top you might expect.)
Anyhoo, I've had my music on random this evening, and I've been both amused and entertained by the songs that have popped up. So far, I've had the following:
- 9-Tailed Fox (k-drama) - Dalm Eun Sarang (the "Trance Pop" version - groovy, baby!)
- Ranma 1/2 (anime) - Piece of Love (j-pop, peppered with the inevitable Engrish)
- Loreena McKennitt - Seeds of Love, The Gates of Istanbul
- Cowboy Bebop (anime) - 3.14 (an Ed song)
- Dirty Dancing - In The Still of the Night (by The Five Satins)
- Hercules (Disney) - The Gospel Truth
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Standing (Giles' song from "Once More With Feeling")
- Hong Gil Dong (k-drama) - U Can't Stop (fabulously anachronistic hip-hop song. In a period drama. Yup)
- Meteor Garden (tw-drama) - Qing Fei De Yi (a.k.a. the happiest song in the entire universe. There's nothing more feelgood than this song)
- Sarah Connor Chronicles - Ain't We Famous
- SeaChange - Big American Car
- Princess Mononoke - Tatara Women Work Song
- The Devil/Mawang - Love Theme
- Gokusen II - No More Cry (Engrish! Catchiness!)
- Plus instrumentals from Read Or Die, Return of the Jedi, Witch Hunter Robin, Arjuna, and The Princess and the Frog.
What I find funniest is how much my media player seems to be dipping almost exclusively into the soundtrack sections of my music collection. I do
have some music that was never in a movie or a TV show, ya know!
Hm, what else has been going on? Let's see:
- In catching up with the manga Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei, I have discovered that in some respects, I am scarily like Chiri. Not so much the teacher-stalking aspects, but in the obsessive perfectionism… oh, yes. A sobering mirror to look into! :-)
- I've been re-reading the Boys Over Flower manga for the first time in ages. Still heaps of fun, and I still love Tsukushi, Tsukasa and Rui to bits. I've been trying to keep myself to one manga per day, and, er, failing quite badly. 'Nuff said!
- I have a couple of Ngaio Marsh audiobooks narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch ("Sherlock") sitting there, waiting. Not sure if I'll listen to them fully, as audiobooks take a LOT of time and I have Vorkosigan and McKillip audiobooks waiting to be listened to already. But the man has a voice that has famously been described as a "jaguar hiding in a cello", so I definitely want to give them a go.